Apple has assembled a large team of experts in virtual and augmented reality and built prototypes of headsets that could one day rival Facebook’s Oculus Rift or Microsoft’s Hololens, the Financial Times reported.
A secret research unit, housing hundreds of staff assembled from acquisitions or poached from other companies, is working on next-generation headset technologies, the FT reported, citing people familiar with the initiative.
The newspaper had previously reported the hiring of leading virtual reality researcher Doug Bowman by the iPhone maker.
At the Q1 earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook was also asked about virtual reality and whether the company was interested in the field. While he did not divulge any details, the Apple CEO had said that he did not think Virtual Reality was a ‘niche field’.
“I don’t think it’s a niche,” he had said. “It’s really cool. It has some interesting applications.” While Apple’s VR plans has come to light for the first time, other tech giants have been open about their VR ambitions for some time now.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Rival tech companies like Google, Microsoft have already indicated that they are taking Virtual Reality seriously. While Google recently said it shipped over 5 million of its VR Cardboard headsets, it also has a dedicated VR unit. Microsoft, on its part, has been working its HoloLens, which can project interactive holograms in a space.
Facebook-owned Oculus just shipped the Samsung Gear VR headset, which is the first consumer ready mobile VR device.
With Reuters inputs