Alexa, what can you tell me about my health?
Starting Thursday, Amazon’s voice assistant will tell you how well you slept and how much more exercise you need – at least if you have a Fitbit fitness tracker and an Alexa-compatible device, such as Amazon’s Echo speaker and Fire TV streaming devices.
Alexa, Amazon.com Inc.’s answer to Apple’s Siri, Google Now and Microsoft’s Cortana, is part of the online retailer’s ambitions to control your living room, as people start embracing a “smart,” automated home. You can already use voice commands to ask Alexa for weather, movie listings and sports scores. Fitbit is adding several commands to Alexa’s vocabulary.
Ask about your sleep, and Alexa will tell you when you fell asleep and for how long. Ask about your daily walks, and Alexa will reply with how many more miles you need to reach your goals. Alexa might also add some encouraging words, such as “I believe in you.”
In recent weeks, Alexa has acquired such capabilities as paying Capital One credit card bills, ordering pizza from Domino’s and getting a ride through Uber. Amazon now has more than 100 third-party integrations, known as skills.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“You never know what developers are going to do,” said Rob Pulciani, director of Amazon Alexa. “They have a knack for creating experiences that we would never have thought of.”
Fitbit already works with Cortana, but not Siri or Google Now. You can do more with Cortana, such as using voice commands to log your food intake. Fitbit is keeping things simpler with Alexa because the service isn’t tied to your phone. It’s meant to give you a snapshot as you’re walking by the Echo speaker on the way to the kitchen. For advanced tasks, you still need your phone app.
To enable the functionality, you need to turn on the Fitbit “skill” in the Alexa app on your phone.
For now, Alexa won’t do much during your workouts, such as yoga in front of a TV or a jog on a treadmill at home.
“This is a starting point,” said Tim Roberts, Fitbit’s executive vice president for interactive. “We as an industry are still in the early days of experiencing and understanding voice interactions with technology.”