Freestyle wrestler Bajrang gave India the first gold medal of the Pune Mayor’s Trophy International Invitational Wrestling competition by beating Mongolia’s Batchuluun Batmagnai 6-4 in the Men’s 65-kg category final. The competition was held on Saturday at the Late Rajaram Bhiku Pathare Primary School’s Vithoba Maruti Pathare Indoor Stadium. Coming into the final after beating Tilek Sharsheev of Kyrgyzstan in the semifinal and Andre Svyryd of Ukraine in the first round, Bajrang was confident enough to take on the Mongolian as he won 6-4 to a rousing welcome from the crowd.
In the other two weight categories that were finished, Indian wrestlers settled for silver medals — Nitin losing to Kyrgyzstan’s Ulukbek Zholdoshbekov 7-1 in the final and Jitender losing 4-7 to Iran’s Bahman Teymouri in the 74-kg class. Jitender had beaten Kyrgyzstan’s Ilgiz Ozhakypbekov in the semifinals and Oleksiy Shcherbak of Ukraine in the first round. In the 57-kg class, Nitin was completely outpointed by Ulukbek Zholdoshbekov of Kyrgyzstan 7-1. Nitin had, however, made it to the final, beating fellow Indian Bharat Patil in the semifinals and Tajikistan’s Hikmatullo Vohidov in the first round.
Kolhapur women dominate
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In the Women’s Open class, Kolhapur dominated the bouts by winning four gold medals. Disha Karande, Swati Shinde, Vishranti Patil and Nandini Salunkhe won the gold medals. Pune girls Komal Gole, Manisha Divekar and Sakshi Shelar gave home fans something to cheer about by winning gold medals in their respective weight categories. In the Boys Under-12 class, Vedant Pawar, Anuj Takale, Ayush Takale and Vedant Zhunzurke, all of Mukund Gymnasium, and Jainath Talim’s Harshwardhan Dhankavade, Dhanraj Shirke and Shreyas Khopade won the gold medals in their respective weight categories. In the Boys Under-14 class, Durgesj Charwad and Omkar Dagade of Hanuman akhara won the gold medals.