Chinese wild-card entry Zhang Shuai opened the WTA Elite Trophy tournament with a 6-1, 6-1 win over sixth-seeded Timea Bacsinzky on Tuesday.
The tournament in Zhuhai features the leading players on the women’s tour who didn’t qualify for the season-ending WTA Finals in Singapore last week.
Carla Suarez Navarro withdrew because of a right wrist injury and was replaced by Hungarian alternate Timea Babos, who will play Bacsinszky on Wednesday.
Fourth-seeded Elina Svitolina rallied after dropping serve three times in the opening set to beat No. 10-seeded Kiki Bertens 2-6, 6-4, 6-2.
In a night match, Barbora Strycova defeated fifth-seeded Roberta Vinci 6-4, 6-3.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Johanna Konta, who is the top-seeded player at the last event on the WTA calendar for 2016, will open against Sam Stosur on Wednesday.