World number one Serena Williams and sister Venus will renew one of sport’s great sibling rivalries after posting quarter-final wins at the Rogers Cup on Friday to set up a showdown on the Montreal hard courts.
Serena kept her title defence on track rallying for a 4-6 7-5 7-5 win over Caroline Wozniacki while Venus booked her place in the final four by beating 14th seeded Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro 4-6 6-2 6-3. It will mark the 25th time the sisters have squared off and first since a 2013 semi-final clash in Charleston that Serena won.
While it is a matchup tennis fans always look forward to, for the sisters it is something they could live without.
“I definitely don’t like playing her,” explained Serena. “I think I’ve lost to her more than anyone on the tour. Definitely not a fun match.“She’s tough. She has a great serve. She runs every ball down. She has a great backhand. She hits winners off the forehand.
Despite the high praise, Serena holds a 14-10 advantage over her older sister in head-to-head meetings and has come out on top in their last five encounters, including the 2009 Wimbledon final.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
In fact, Saturday’s meeting will be just the second in the last five years and Venus has a simple philosophy of how to play her sister. “There’s no secret or science to it,” she said.
The other semi will pit third seed Agnieszka Radwanska against Ekaterina Makarova. Poland’s Radwanska, the third seed, advanced with a dominant 6-2 6-2 win over Victoria Azarenka.
Federer sails into semis
Roger Federer celebrated his 33rd birthday with a 6-3 4-6 6-3 win over Spaniard David Ferrer on Friday to move into the semi-finals of the Rogers Cup and a step closer to a landmark 80th career title. He will next face another Spaniard, Feliciano Lopez, who ended the last hope for a homegrown winner in sixth seed Milos Raonic 6-4 6-7(5) 6-3. The other semi-final will see rising star Grigor Dimitrov take on Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, who has reached the last four by knocking off world number one Novak Djokovic and twice-champion Andy Murray in the quarter-final.
With Ferrer 14-0 against the Swiss maestro there was little concern the fifth seed might spoil the party as the capacity crowd serenaded 17-time grand slam winner Federer with a chorus of “Happy Birthday” during the second set.
Sania Mirza and Cara Black defeated Raquel Kops-Jones and Abigail Spears in just 52 minutes to seal a semifinal berth at the WTA Rogers Cup.
The fourth seeded Indo-Zimbabwean pair knocked out the sixth seeded American team 6-2 6-1 in the lop-sided quarterfinal contest. They next face second seeded pair of Su-Wei Hsieh from Taipei and Shuai Peng from China. (PTI)