Indian tennis ace Sania Mirza and her Zimbabwean partner Cara Black hardly broke a sweat as they entered the US Open women’s doubles semifinals after their rivals retired midway through the quarterfinal.
Sania and Cara, seeded third, defeated the Kazakh-Chinese pairing of Zarina Diyas and Yi-Fan Xu 6-1 1-0 (retd) in 45 minutes to make the last four stage.
They will now face the Swiss-Italian team of Martina Hingis and Flavia Pennetta. Hingis and Pennetta upstaged fifth seeds Kveta Peschke and Katarina Srebotnik 6-4 6-3 in their last-eight match.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
In a match which looked lopsided from the very start, Sania and Cara held serve and broke their rivals twice to pocket the opening set easily before the proceedings came to an end in the opening five minutes of the second set.
In the junior competition, India’s Sumit Nagal lost 2-6 2-6 to seventh seeded Korean Duckhee Lee to bow out of the competition.