India’s Sania Mirza and her partner Cara Black of Zimbabwe could not make it to the US Open women’s doubles finals after going down in straight sets to Swiss-Italian pair of Martina Hingis and Flavia Pennetta at the Grand Slam event in New York.
The 27-year-old Indian, who reached the summit clash in the mixed doubles category along with partner Bruno Soares of Brazil, lost 2-6 4-6 to the unseeded pair in a semifinal match that lasted for an hour and 10 minutes.
The third seeded duo failed to convert six of the seven break points that came their way, where as their opponent broke them four times out of five chances at the Louis Armstrong stadium in New York.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
This is the second consecutive semifinal exit for Sania as the Indian, partnering China’s Jie Zheng, also failed to cross the last four hurdle last year.
In the mixed doubles final, Sania and Soares will take on unseeded pair of Abigail Spears from the USA and Santiago Gonzalez from Mexico.
All other Indians have already exited from the last Grand Slam of the season as Rohan Bopanna and Leander Paes fell at different stages of their respective events.