On a tough day for seeded players in the Swiss Indoors first round, Stan Wawrinka rallied to beat 119th-ranked fellow Swiss Marco Chiudinelli 6-7 (1), 6-1, 6-4 on Tuesday.
Top-seeded Wawrinka advanced after second-seeded Milos Raonic and sixth-seeded Grigor Dimitrov both let one-set leads slip and exited early.
Wawrinka ended his own streak of four straight first-round losses in the hometown tournament of Roger Federer, whose season-ending injury ruled him out for the first time since 2005.
World No. 3 Wawrinka clinched victory with his 16th ace on his fifth match point chance against his Davis Cup teammate Chiudinelli. He next plays qualifier Donald Young of the United States.
The bottom half of the draw opened up Tuesday after Canada’s Raonic lost to Ricardas Berankis of Lithuania, a player ranked 87 places below him.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
The fourth-ranked Raonic took the first set against his 91st-ranked opponent before falling to a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 loss.
The 26-year-old Berankis now has two career wins against top 10 players, after also beating Raonic indoors in Moscow two years ago.
Dimitrov of Bulgaria let 37th-ranked Gilles Muller of Luxembourg fight back for a 6-7 (9), 6-4, 6-4 win after taking only one of his 10 break point chances against the 33-year-old left-hander.