India’s tennis star Sania Mirza retained her numero uno status in women’s doubles for the second consecutive year, despite failing to defend the WTA Finals Singapore title with partner Martina Hingis.
Defending champions Sania and Hingis had lost to Ekaterina Makarova and Elena Vesnina in the semi-finals of the WTA Finals Singapore on Saturday.
Makarova and Vesnina then defeated Bethanie Mattek-Sands and Lucie Safarova to lift the doubles title today and denied Mattek-Sands the Number One spot.
“I am very happy. It’s an amazing honour to be number one for the second year. It has been an amazing journey for me,” Sania told PTI on Sunday from Singapore.
During the year, Sania has won titles, including Australian Open with Hingis, Cincinnati Masters with Barbora Strycova. Sania had split with Hingis but they paired up and made an unsuccessful bid to defend the WTA Finals Singapore.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
“For me, this has been an unbelievable journey and the kind of stuff that dreams are made of! I’ve always felt that reaching the pinnacle in any sphere of activity is a huge achievement but staying there for a prolonged period is even more difficult than getting there for the first time,” Sania said.
“The fact that only 3 legends of the women’s game – Navratilova, Black and Huber – have had a longer consecutive stint at the top in the history of women’s doubles tennis makes it even more satisfying for me,” she had said after celebrating her 80th consecutive week as the women’s doubles World Number one.