Sania Mirza is in line to win her third Grand Slam title and first with new partner Bruno Soares as the top seeded pair struggled past Yung-Jan Chan and Ross Hutchins to reach the mixed doubles summit clash.
The Indo-Brazilian team overcame the unseeded but fighting Tapiei-German combine 7-5 4-6 10-7 in the semifinals, which lasted one hour and 33 minutes.
The last-four pairs contest was very close as both the teams broke each other four times and Sania and Soares won overall 74 points, only three more than their rivals.
Sania and Soares are up against unseeded pair of Abigail Spears from the USA and Santiago Gonzalez from Mexico. It will be Sania’s fifth mixed doubles final appearance at the Grand Slam level, having won Australian Open (2009) and French Open (2012) with compatriot Mahesh Bhupathi.
The 27-year old had reached the Australian Open mixed doubles final this year also but ended runners-up with Romanian partner Horea Tecau.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Sania also has the opportunity to reach only her second women’s doubles final at Majors as she prepares to take on Swiss comeback queen Martina Hingis and Italian Flavia Pennetta in the semifinals.
All other Indians have already exited from the last Grand Slam of the season as Rohan Bopanna and Leander Paes fell at different stages of their respective events.
There was no Indian playing in the men’s singles as Somdev could not qualify for the main draw.