Rafa Nadal’s recovery from a wrist injury that ruled him out of two U.S. Open tune-up events is on track, the Spanish tennis federation (RFET) said on Tuesday after the world number two underwent tests.
Nadal sustained the injury during practice late last month and the 28-year-old Majorcan left-hander has been training with a cast on his right wrist.
He was forced to withdraw from this week’s Rogers Cup in Toronto and next week’s Cincinnati Open, putting in doubt his title defence at the year’s final grand slam at Flushing Meadows in New York starting at the end of this month.
“Following a scan and clinical evaluation, his progress is on track, although he will still have tests from time to time,” the RFET said on their website (www.rfet.es).
Nadal on Monday posted a picture of himself working on court with his uncle and coach Toni in which a black wrist support was clearly visible. “Making the most of these days to continue training, always with desire and optimism,” Nadal wrote.
Dodig stuns Isner
TORONTO: Ivan Dodig made a triumphant return from injury with a 6-4 6-7 (4) 6-3 upset victory over 10th seeded American John Isner in the opening round of Rogers Cup on Monday after the Croat missed nearly three months with a broken rib.
Dodig, back on court for the first time since retiring in the opening round of the French Open, showed no sign of rust as he consigned Isner to a second consecutive first round loss.
Isner was not the only big name to falter and he was joined in the departure lounge by 14th seeded Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut, who was dispatched 7-6 (7) 6-3 by compatriot Feliciano Lopez.
For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App now