Rafael Nadal made short work of Ivan Dodig in the third round at the ATP 500 Barcelona Open, winning in straight sets. He had earlier struggled in a slightly extended victory over Albert Ramos.
Nadal, the defending champion, has lost just 12 matches on clay, but has looked shaky, especially after his defeat to David Ferrer during the Monte Carlo Masters last week.
Nadal cleared the Dodig hurdle in easy fashion, winning 6-4, 6-3 to make the quarterfinals at Barcelona. The other winners of the third round games were Marin Cilic, Kei Nishikori, Ernsests Gulbis, Santiago Giraldo and Philipp Kohlschreiber.
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
- Hillary Clinton accuses Donald Trump of being Vladimir Putin’s ‘puppet’
- Senior UP Congress Leader Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Missing JNU Student: VC Gives Ultimatum To Students Over ‘Illegal Confinement’
- US Presidential Debate: Donald Trump Calls Hillary Clinton ‘A Nasty Woman’
- Hasselblad True Zoom Mod Review
- Honor 8 First Look Video
- Apple Watch 2: Review, Price And Features
- Delhi HC Dismisses Kejriwal’s Plea For Stay In Criminal Defamation Case
- Gulzar Shares An Interesting Anecdote Behind The Lyrics of ‘Humne Dekhi Hai’ Song
- Diya Mirza Displays Her Painting Skills At An Art Festival In Mumbai
Somdev out of doubles
Somdev Devvarman and his Croatian partner Ante Pavic bowed out of the Barcelona Open, following defeat in the doubles quarterfinals.
In the battle between the two lucky-losers, Somdev and Pavic frittered away a one-set lead to lose 6-4 3-6 5-10 to Jesse Huta Galung and Stephanie Robert in the last-eight stage contest of the euro 2,127,035 clay court event.
With the loss, Somdev’s campaign has ended in this tournament, having lost the singles first round earlier. India’s challenge however is still alive in the competition as Davis Cupper Rohan Bopanna has reached the quarterfinals with Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi.
They are up against top-seeded pair of Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor.
Djokovic, a to-be father
Novak Djokovic is going to need to get into the swing of being a father. The six-time major champion wrote on Thursday on Twitter that he and his longtime girlfriend, Jelena Ristic, are expecting a baby.
The posting said in part: “Jelena is pregnant!!!We will be parents soon! (hash)blessed.”
In February, the 26-year-old Djokovic said he and Ristic would be getting married. They have been a couple for more than eight years. She runs his humanitarian aid organization.
The second-ranked Djokovic is taking a little time off with a right wrist injury but expects to return to action next month at the Madrid Masters.
The 17-time major champion Roger Federer announced he and his wife, Mirka, are expecting a child in 2014. They already are the parents of twin girls — Charlene-Riva and Myla-Rose Federer.