Rafael Nadal made short work of Ivan Dodig in the third round at the ATP 500 Barcelona Open, winning in straight sets. He had earlier struggled in a slightly extended victory over Albert Ramos.
Nadal, the defending champion, has lost just 12 matches on clay, but has looked shaky, especially after his defeat to David Ferrer during the Monte Carlo Masters last week.
Nadal cleared the Dodig hurdle in easy fashion, winning 6-4, 6-3 to make the quarterfinals at Barcelona. The other winners of the third round games were Marin Cilic, Kei Nishikori, Ernsests Gulbis, Santiago Giraldo and Philipp Kohlschreiber.
Somdev out of doubles
Somdev Devvarman and his Croatian partner Ante Pavic bowed out of the Barcelona Open, following defeat in the doubles quarterfinals.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In the battle between the two lucky-losers, Somdev and Pavic frittered away a one-set lead to lose 6-4 3-6 5-10 to Jesse Huta Galung and Stephanie Robert in the last-eight stage contest of the euro 2,127,035 clay court event.
With the loss, Somdev’s campaign has ended in this tournament, having lost the singles first round earlier. India’s challenge however is still alive in the competition as Davis Cupper Rohan Bopanna has reached the quarterfinals with Pakistani partner Aisam-ul-haq Qureshi.
They are up against top-seeded pair of Nenad Zimonjic and Daniel Nestor.
Djokovic, a to-be father
Novak Djokovic is going to need to get into the swing of being a father. The six-time major champion wrote on Thursday on Twitter that he and his longtime girlfriend, Jelena Ristic, are expecting a baby.
The posting said in part: “Jelena is pregnant!!!We will be parents soon! (hash)blessed.”
In February, the 26-year-old Djokovic said he and Ristic would be getting married. They have been a couple for more than eight years. She runs his humanitarian aid organization.
The second-ranked Djokovic is taking a little time off with a right wrist injury but expects to return to action next month at the Madrid Masters.
The 17-time major champion Roger Federer announced he and his wife, Mirka, are expecting a child in 2014. They already are the parents of twin girls — Charlene-Riva and Myla-Rose Federer.