Sixth seed Nick Kyrgios battered Gael Monfils 6-4 6-4 and David Goffin outlasted Marin Cilic 7-5 6-4 on Saturday to advance to the Japan Open final in Tokyo.
Australian Kyrgios, who captured his first two ATP titles this year, is yet to drop a set in the tournament and he overpowered the French second seed in one hour 30 minutes.
“It was an unbelievable match, we both played very well. The crowd loved it and we both had a lot of fun out there. Not many people on tour can hit the type of shots Gael can,” Kyrgios told the ATP website (www.atpworldtour.com).
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“He’s an unbelievable entertainer and athlete. We play different games. I rely on my serve more, but I want to work to become as athletic as he is and also be an entertainer like him.”
Belgian Goffin, who will play his first ATP final of the season on Sunday, trailed 5-3 in the opening set, but he broke back and won the next four games against Croatian Cilic, the 2014 US Open champion.
“I didn’t play my best tennis at the beginning of the week, but match by match I was able to find my rhythm,” Goffin said, “I was looking to play the ball deep with pace, since it was not easy to generate angles when I’m trying to return his serve. In the second set, especially, I was winning many points hitting down the middle as he got more tired.”