Britain’s Johanna Konta faces an anxious 24-hour wait before discovering whether she will make her debut at the WTA Finals in Singapore.
Konta, who has rocketed up the rankings this year, attended the draw ceremony for the showpiece season-ender on Friday having reached number eight on the WTA’s Road to Singapore list.
Thousands of miles away at the Kremlin Cup in Moscow, however, Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova was battling to sneak ahead of her and grab the final place in the eight-player tournament that starts with round-robin action on Sunday.
Kuznetsova beat Ukraine’s Elina Svitolina 6-1 6-7 (2) 6-4 and should the top seed win Saturday’s final against Julia Goerges or Daria Gavrilova she will deny Konta a dream debut in the tournament although the Briton would stay on as an alternate.
Konta, voted the WTA’s most improved player in 2016 after becoming the first British female since 1983 to crack the top 10, arrived in Singapore this week after recovering from a stomach strain.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
At Friday’s draw, Konta or Kuznetsova were placed in the same group as 2015 winner Agnieszka Radwanska, Karolina Pliskova and French Open champion Garbine Muguruza.
The other group consists of world number one Angelique Kerber, Simona Halep, Madison Keys and Dominika Cibulkova.
American Serena Williams is missing because of injury.