Johanna Konta withdrew from the Hong Kong Open with an abdominal strain on Thursday, putting her chances of qualifying for the season-ending WTA Finals in jeopardy. The third-seeded British player had been scheduled to play Wang Qiang in the second round, but pulled out before the match.
Konta reached the China Open final last week and became the first British woman to crack the top 10 since Jo Durie in 1984.
Konta is currently in the eighth, and final, spot in the standings for the WTA Finals in Singapore, but several players are within striking distance.
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Also, eighth-seeded Daria Gavrilova defeated Katerina Siniakova 6-2, 7-5, Bethanie Mattek-Sands beat sixth-seeded Caroline Garcia 4-6, 6-2, 6-4, and Kristina Mladenovic beat Nao Hibino 7-6 (5), 6-2.
Madison Keys reaches Linz quarterfinals
Madison Keys advanced to the quarterfinals of the Generali Ladies by defeating Misaki Doi of Japan 6-2, 6-0 Thursday.
Dominating throughout, the third-seeded American had five aces and avoided break points, while the 30th-ranked Doi won only 40 percent of the points on her serve. Keys will next play French qualifier Oceane Dodin.
Also, defending champion Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia recovered from dropping 4-1 behind in the opening set to beat Kirsten Flipkens of Belgium 6-4, 7-6 (2).
Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland defeated Julia Goerges of Germany 7-5, 6-4 to set up a quarterfinal match against either top-seeded Garbine Muguruza or Monica Niculescu of Romania. Golubic saved a set point when Goerges served at 5-4 in the opening set.
Agnieszka Radwanska withdraws after reaching Tianjin quarterfinals
efending champion Agnieszka Radwanska withdrew from the Tianjin Open with a right thigh injury on Thursday, shortly after beating Evgeniya Rodina 6-1, 6-1 to reach the quarterfinals.
Radwanska said she pulled out to give herself time to fully recover before the WTA Finals in Singapore later this month.
“It’s the end of the season, I guess everyone is struggling with something,” she said in comments posted on the WTA website.
Radwanska broke Rodina five times and won all but four points on her first serve. She had won her last eight matches, starting with her run to the China Open title last week.
Radwanska’s withdrawal allows Chinese veteran Peng Shuai to advance to the semifinals. Peng beat Chang Kai-Chen 6-3, 6-2.
Olympic gold medalist Monica Puig also reached the quarterfinals, beating Lara Arruabarrena 6-4, 6-2, while Alison Riske defeated Magda Linette 6-3, 7-6 (2).