Croatian teenager Ana Konjuh ousted sixth-seeded Barbora Strycova in the first round of the Kremlin Cup on Tuesday, winning 6-4, 1-6, 6-2.
The 18-year-old Konjuh will now meet Russian qualifier Anna Blinkova in the second round after she upset Latvia’s Anastasija Sevastova 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (10) after a tense deciding tiebreak.
Seventh-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova, a former champion in Moscow, is also in the second round after winning 7-6 (2), 5-7, 7-5 against Czech qualifier Katerina Siniakova.
Pavlyuchenkova’s reward is a second-round match again former world No. 1 Jelena Jankovic of Serbia, who beat Latvia’s Jelena Ostapenko 6-3, 6-3 in a match featuring 15 breaks of serve.
“It was very difficult for me to hold my serve because my opponent was returning very well and she was at times making so many great winners,” Jankovic said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Australia’s Daria Gavrilova reached the second round with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Lucie Safarova, and goes on to meet third-seeded Carla Suarez Navarro of Spain in the second round.
In the men’s event, sixth-seeded Pablo Carrena Busta of Spain came back from a set down to reach round two with a 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (2) victory over Austrian veteran Jurgen Melzer. There was also a win for seventh-seeded Paolo Lorenzi, who saw off fellow Italian Federico Gaio 6-4, 6-4.