Jamaican sprint star Usain Bolt, Rafael Nadal, Cristiano Ronaldo, Sebastian Vettel are among the top favourites to win the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award, to be announced in Kuala Lumpur on March 26.
The list of contenders also includes Argentine footballer Lionel Messi, NBA player LeBron James, long-distance runner Mo Farah of Britain and Chinese swimmer Sun Yang.
The Laureus World Sports Awards, now celebrating its 15th year, is recognised as the premier honours event in the international sporting calendar.
The names of the six nominees for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award, as voted by the Laureus Media Selection Panel, will be announced later this month and the winner will be unveiled at a ceremony on March 26.
The awards recognise sporting achievement during the calendar year 2013. The awards will also be decided in six other categories by the jury comprising leading sports editors, sports writers, broadcasters and online journalists
from around the world.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The list of nominations for the awards includes boxers Floyd Mayweather Jr and Wladimir Klitschko of Ukraine, Rugby player Kieran Read, gymnast Kohei Uchimura of Japan, British rider Chris Froome and Austria’s Alpine racer Marcel Hirscher.
“Whoever is nominated, it’s going to be one of the closest contests ever for the Laureus World Sportsman of the Year Award. You have a great star like Usain Bolt, from my own sport of track and field, trying to equal the record of four Laureus Awards, but you also have some wonderful feats from so many sportsmen in so many sports. There is quality everywhere,” said Laureus World Sports Academy Chairman and Olympic legend Edwin Moses.