Sports Minister Vijay Goel has called opon the Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and Public Sector Banks (PSBs) to contribute for the promotion of sports in the country.
A meeting of major PSUs and PSBs with the sports ministry was held in New Delhi on Thursday to discuss promotion of sports in the country. Several CMDs were among those who represented the PSUs and PSBs at the meeting, chaired by Goel.
This was for the first time that such a meeting was convened by the Sports Minister to make concerted efforts for the promotion of sports in the country.
In his remarks at the meeting, Goel called upon the PSUs and PSBs to come forward and contribute significantly to the cause of promotion of sports in the country.
He said that they have a vast reach and resources which can be used for the growth of sports in the country, according to a sports ministry release.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The Minister stated that they can contribute in various ways to promotion of sports, including support for training of athletes, creation of sports infrastructure and organisation of sports competitions.
He invited PSUs and PSBs to contribute to the National Sports Development Fund (NSDF) which has been set up under the Sports Ministry for sports promotion. He pointed out that contribution to NSDF qualifies for Income Tax exemption and there is matching contribution from the Government as well.
Under the NSDF, top athletes have been supported for their preparation for major international tournaments. Also, eminent athletes have been supported for setting up academies.
Today’s meeting was a part of the on-going efforts being made by Goel to forge consensus on the vision for sports in the country and initiate coordinated efforts for promotion of sports.
He has already held two meetings with National Sports Federations, a round table discussion with sportspersons of eminence who have been conferred with Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award and coaches who have been conferred with Dronacharya Award and a brain-storming session with former eminent sportspersons, sports administrators and others associated with sports promotion in the country.