South Africa remain “fully committed” to hosting the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Durban despite falling short of requirements, officials said, adding they were still in talks with the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) over their bid.
The comments came on Wednesday, the deadline to resolve a number of issues, such as failing to have a local organising committee set up within 180 days of winning the bid on April 1, 2014 and not depositing an initial payment of $1.79 million.
Durban remains the only city with a confirmed bid after Edmonton in Canada withdrew in February.
While South Africa said details from ongoing talks could not be revealed, the CGF insisted that Nov. 30 was merely a deadline and not a day for announcements.
“The South African government is still fully committed on hosting the Games,” Esethu Hasane, spokesperson for the Department of Sport and Recreation, was quoted as saying by China’s Xinhua News Agency.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Unfortunately, now the Department is not in a position to be making any pronouncements on ongoing talks.”
If Durban goes on to host the event, the Commonwealth Games will travel to Africa for the first time in its history.
The 2018 Games will be held at Gold Coast, Australia.