Michael Schumacher has “moments of consciousness and awakening”, his spokeswoman said on Friday, in a sign of progress months after the Formula One legend suffered devastating brain injuries in a ski accident.
Doctors put Schumacher in a medically induced coma after the December 29 accident in which he slammed his head on a rock while skiing at the French resort of Meribel with his son and friends, and little has filtered through since about his condition.
“Michael is making progress…. He shows moments of consciousness and awakening,” Sabine Kehm said in a statement. The 45-year-old remains in hospital in the French Alpine city of Grenoble, where he underwent two operations to remove life-threatening blood clots before being placed into a coma.
His family said at the end of January that drugs used to keep him in his deep sleep were being reduced with a view to bringing him back to consciousness.
“We are on his side during his long and difficult fight, together with the team of the hospital in Grenoble, and we keep remaining confident,” Kehm said.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
There have already been signs of hope for the seven-time world champion. In February, his friend and former Ferrari teammate Felipe Massa was quoted as saying that Schumacher seemed to respond to him during a visit.
He is sleeping, he looks normal and he showed a few responses with his mouth,” Massa told German tabloid Bild.
And last month, Schumacher’s family said they were confident that the racing legend who defied death more than once on the track would pull through.
There sometimes are small, encouraging signs, but we also know that this is the time to be very patient”, Kehm said at the time in a statement. “It is very hard to comprehend for all of us that Michael, who had overcome a lot of precarious situations in the past, has been hurt so terribly in such a banal situation,” the statement read.Kehm once again asked that the privacy of Schumacher’s wife Corinna and their two children be respected, while thanking well-wishers for their support.
“We again ask for understanding that we do not intend to disclose details. This is necessary to protect the privacy of Michael’s family, and to enable the medics to work in full calmness,” she said.