Ace Indian shuttler and two-time champion Saina Nehwal would look to put behind the disappointment of last week’s All England Championship and focus on the $125,000 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold, which gets underway at St Jakobshalle here on Tuesday.
Saina, the London Olympic bronze medallist, had clinched the title in 2011 and 2012 and the Indian will look for a repeat performance when she starts her campaign against a qualifier in the women’s singles competition on Wednesday. Seeded sixth, Saina, who had reached the semifinals last year, is coming into the tournament after crashing out in the quarterfinals of the All England Open in Birmingham, UK last week.
The 23-year-old Indian is likely to face World No.1 and top seed Yihan Wang in the quarterfinals if she manages to cross the first two rounds here. It was at the London Olympics where Saina had faced Yihan last time. The Chinese had retired from the play-off because of a knee injury, thus paving the way for the Indian to win the coveted bronze.
However, Saina holds a rather unimpressive 1-6 record against Yihan. World No. 9 PV Sindhu too will be eager to get over her forgettable All England debut when she plays in the Swiss Open. Her first round opponent Beatriz Corrales of Spain has already withdrawn and Sindhu is likely to sail into the quarterfinals. The World Championship bronze medallist, Sindhu is seeded seventh and is likely to face the newly-crowned All England Champion Shixian Wang in the quarterfinals.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More