Indian boxer Sachin Singh (49kg) advanced to the AIBA Youth World Championship finals after notching up an impressive victory in the last-four stage in St. Petersburg, Russia today.
The junior World Championship bronze-medallist was up against Asian youth bronze-winner Carlo Paalam of Philippines and the Indian triumphed 4-1 to enter the summit clash.
He will tomorrow face Cuba’s reigning national champion Jorge Grinan, who pulled through a tough contest against American Dylan Prince to win 4-1.
Sachin, who is also an Asian Youth Championships quarterfinalist besides being the reigning junior champion, relied on his power-packed left jabs to unnerve the Filipino.
Paalam struggled to negate the height advantage enjoyed by the Indian, who was quick on his feet.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Although Paalam’s right straights were bang on target on most occasions, Sachin was easily fending off his challenge for a majority of the bout by swiftly swaying back.
The 16-year-old Indian’s speed and reflexes were hard to match for Paalam, who was repeatedly thrown off balance in his attempts to connect punches.
Vikas Krishan was the last Indian boxer to win a gold at these Championships when he finished on top in the 2010 edition
In the previous edition, India had managed just a bronze.