Only a few days after sending out wedding invitations, golfer Rory McIlroy broke off his engagement to Danish tennis player Caroline Wozniacki on Wednesday. Uncomfortable and subdued, the two-time major winner spoke about the decision ahead of the BMW PGA Championship, only a few hours after first announcing the split in a statement.
“It is quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself, and the statement really said it all this morning,’’ McIlroy said at Wentworth. “It was mutual and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on, and I’ve said all that I need to say.’’
The 25-year-old McIlroy and 23-year-old Wozniacki have been dating since 2011. They were engaged on New Year’s Eve in Australia.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The decision to call off the wedding came as surprise to many, especially since McIlroy had only recently spoke of his delight in meeting up with Wozniacki in London after competing in the Players Championship a couple of weeks ago. Wozniacki had been due to compete in an event in Rome but withdrew to meet up with him.
“Look, I’m no different than anyone else,’’ the Northern Irishman said. “Everyone has been through breakups, and it’s obviously very, very difficult. But look, I’m here to try and concentrate on this week and answer questions about golf, and that’s what I’m going to do.’’
Both McIlroy and Wozniacki have been the top-ranked player in their respective sports, but Wozniacki has not won a maor title. McIlroy won his first major at the 2011 US Open, and then added another a year later at the US PGA Championship.
In the earlier statement, McIlroy took the blame for the breakup.
“The problem is mine. The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realisxe that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails,’’ McIlroy said.
“I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we’ve had. I will not be saying anything more about our relationship in any setting.’’
At Wentworth, McIlroy is among the top players at this week’s European Tour flagship event.
“I’m not going to lie. It’s going to be very difficult,’’ McIlroy said of playing this week. “But you know, at least when I get inside the ropes, just try and concentrate on the shot at hand. But yeah, it’s obviously going to be difficult.’’