Para-cyclist Aditya Mehta forced to remove prosthetic leg at Bengaluru airport; process causes bleeding

Para-cyclist Aditya Mehta was forced to remove his prosthetic leg at Bengaluru airport for the second time in two months.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Published:October 13, 2016 11:49 am
aditya mehta, aditya mehta Para-cyclist, aditya mehta cyclist, bengaluru airport, aditya mehta para athlete, sports news, sports Aditya Mehta is a silver-medallist at the Asian Para-Cycling Championship 2013. (Source: Facebook)

Just two months ago, para-cyclist Aditya Mehta was asked to remove his prosthetic leg at the Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) as part of a security check. Once again, on Tuesday, Mehta was asked to do the same by the same officer.

Mehta, a silver-medallist at the Asian Para-Cycling Championship 2013, said the incident left a “psychological scar” as he was forced to remove the prosthetic leg by the Central Industrial Reserve Force (CISF), while boarding a flight to Hyderabad on Tuesday morning. He had to wear it back, a process that takes 40 minutes and it led to bleeding from his leg.

“Seems like the Bangalore Airport Central Industrial Security Force{cisf}Officials are not influenced at all by our previous campaign to replace the present security check system with a sensitized one. This morning when I had to board a flight from Bangalore at 5:30 am to Hyderabad, the CISF officials made me undo and redo my prosthesis during the security check. I have been suffering with an injury since the past 20 days with my stump (OPERATED LIMB) and the security check officials only had to say “It is your problem!” in this regards. It took me 40 min for the entire process of removing and wearing back my prosthesis limb which left me bleeding at the end. (sic),” he wrote in a Facebook post.

Mehta, who travels around the country, added that it was not a problem at other airports as they would allow him to go through without asking him to remove his prosthetic leg. “Many of the officials at other airports were sensible enough to understand when I told them about my injury and they let me go,” he wrote.

After the first incident in Bengaluru in August, a campaign asking for the setting up of body scanners at airports for persons with disabilities had began but nothing seems to have changed at the city’s airport.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App now

1. C
    CNS
    Oct 14, 2016 at 8:23 am
    I, as a Prosthetic Surgeon, have been dealing with amputees for over a decade now. And I am proud to say that some of my best friends are amputees. Them and I have founded the Phoenix Bravehearts, a biking group. Recently we conquered the Khardung-Lalt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;There is absolutely nothing wrong in the CISF personnel asking the amputees to remove the prosthetics.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;One has to realise that this process is done to ensure the security of the airport and aircraft and thus of thousands of people. lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;The design of any artificial limb is such that it can easily conceal any of the several dangerous and banned items. In fact a bomb can be made in the design of a functional artificial limb.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;There are lakhs of amputees in the country. If the plea of the article was implemented, It would be easily possible for any terrorist organisation to recruit an amputee and thus attack an aircraft.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;This matter has been debated several times. What the sensible amputees convey is that they be accorded suitable privacy and priority at the airport so that they can don and doff the limb in dignity.
    1. G
      GuestReader
      Oct 13, 2016 at 10:17 am
      So what is the big deal? Security is for all and the security man does not have to know every "big wig" or "super runner" or "super star" personailty who pes thru the security. I want the security for me and I don't mind being tapped and scanned. It lies in or own interest. There are w lot of people with atificial hips and knees who have to go through multiple scans and even have to show their medical/surgical certificates during the securuty checks. These people should be happy that the security was taking his job seriously.
        Rakesh Chaubey
        Oct 13, 2016 at 7:42 pm
        Mehta, you are such a cry baby!lt;br/gt;The only fault I see of the security guys is lack of politeness. "Its your problem", if said, was callous. Other than that, I think the airport folks did what they were supposed to do.lt;br/gt;lt;br/gt;You must be taking off the posthetic to take a shower. If you bled, you bled because you injured yourself. Sorry, my friend, life isn't always fair. You have to accommodate by being flexible around life. Would you (yourself) want to be on a flight where someone else's prosthetic "tangri" exploded?
          Manish
          Oct 13, 2016 at 5:31 pm
          so what!! one guy with fake prosthetic gets across and blasts the w plane ..i am sure you will not have kinder words for our security guards then
            PSRao
            Oct 13, 2016 at 7:34 am
            Sad and inhuman. Also reminds of arrogance of authority. For any rule there is a word called discretion exist.
              Div
              Oct 13, 2016 at 3:35 pm
              whats up with all the tantrumslt;br/gt;deepa maliklt;br/gt;that marathon runnerlt;br/gt;aditya mehta!lt;br/gt;started bleeding! dude was it the first time u did this?
                Shankar
                Oct 13, 2016 at 7:49 am
                When you go by public transport, be prepared to abide by the rules and regulations of security check. What is the guarantee that someone will not travel by your pport faked? You are a sports man and you are aware of security check, if at all you need to travel by Airplane, be early at the airport security check which solves the problem. I agree you are handicapped and there should be some kind of excuses should be there, but this reason should not become a risk to other travelers and to the nation.
                1. T
                  TM
                  Oct 13, 2016 at 7:49 pm
                  They have other ways of scanning such appurtenances which I am sure these security personnel do not have. Whether he is a celebrity or an ordinary citizen he should not be undergoing such an ordeal. IF a person with a pacemaker goes into the scanner the pacemaker stops. Do they ask him or her to remove the pacemaker and then p the scanner. What a pathetic situation?