Matsa Santoshi’s bronze in women’s 53kg weightlifting at the Commonwealth Games may be upgraded to silver after Nigerian gold winner Chika Amalaha’s A dope sample returned positive for a banned substance in Glasgow on Tuesday.
Another Indian Swati Singh, who finished fourth in the competition, could also move a place up for the bronze.
Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive Mike Hooper announced at the daily media briefing that Amalaha has been suspended from the Games till the results of her B sample comes out.
“She provided a positive A sample after she won her gold in the 53kg category. We are following the correct procedures at this time and whilst that is going ahead she will be suspended,” Hooper said.
“We shouldn’t presume anything just yet, once she has provided a B sample that is when we can decide on the re-awarding of medals and appropriate actions.” Amalaha’s case is the first one relating to dope offence in the Glasgow Games.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Our robust anti-doping system is in place and we want to send a message to those that decide to cheat that they will be caught,” he said.
On weightlifting’s continuance at the Commonwealth Games, Hooper said, “Weightlifting is a core sport to this programme. We would not remove it easily.”