Jason Collins became the first openly homosexual player in the National Basketball Association, breaking ground in major professional U.S. team sports as the country’s growing acceptance of gay rights continues.
He entered the first game with his new team Sunday night just hours after signing a 10-day contract with the Brooklyn Nets, and said, “I don’t have time to really think about history right now.”
The 35-year-old Collins revealed at the end of last season he is homosexual, but he was a free agent and had remained unsigned until Sunday. After his announcement last year, numerous NBA players insisted he would be welcomed in the locker room.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Speaking at a press conference before his Sunday night game in Los Angeles against the Lakers, Collins said he was aware of the magnitude of his signing, but he said he was most concerned with learning the Nets’ plays.”The pressure is playing in an NBA game tonight, and last time I played in an NBA game was last April,” he said. “So I think that’s enough pressure right there.”
Collins played 10 scoreless minutes with two rebounds and five fouls in the Nets’ 108-102 victory.“I know that I can play in the NBA, and it felt good to be out there tonight,” he said. Collins had played 12 NBA seasons before his announcement. He has played for five other teams and is well respected inside and outside the league.
‘The decision to sign Jason was a basketball decision,” Nets general manager Billy King said in a statement. “With his experience and size, we felt he was the right choice for a 10-day contract.”
The Nets posted a photo on their Twitter account of Coach Jason Kidd watching Collins sign his contract, encouraging followers to retweet it to welcome Collins to Brooklyn.
“Jason told us that his goal was to earn another contract with an NBA team. Today, I want to commend him on achieving his goal. I know everyone in the NBA family is excited for him and proud that our league fosters an inclusive and respectful environment,” NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said.
“Life is more exciting for me. I mean, I don’t have to hide who I am and I can be my normal self. The past 10 months have been incredible. I’m making new friends, hearing different people’s stories, sharing experiences. It’s just been an overall positive.”, said Collins
“I know Jason Collins is a competitor. One thing I know about him is he fouls very hard,” Miami’s Dwyane Wade said with a laugh. “He’s one of those tough veterans. I’m sure he’s happy to be back playing in the league. Welcome back.”