Middleweight champion Michael Bisping finally avenged the most devastating loss of his career by claiming a close decision victory over Dan Henderson in a thrilling title fight at UFC 204 in Manchester on Saturday. Hometown favourite Bisping finished the brutal five-round battle with his face swollen and bloodied after he flirted with disaster against his veteran American opponent before finally retaining the belt thanks to the judges scorecards.
The 37-year-old won the title in sensational fashion in June, stepping up to fight Luke Rockhold at short notice at UFC 199 and knocking him out in the opening round to become the first British UFC champion. He immediately called out the 46-year-old Henderson, who knocked him out in 2009 in what he called “the worst knockout in UFC history”, and despite his plans to retire, the former Olympic wrestler duly obliged.
The fighters entered the octagon at 4:30 a.m. (0330 GMT) to cater for the American pay per view audience and after a cagey start, the fight exploded into life late in the first round
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
Henderson floored Bisping with a thundering right hand but despite the American piling on the punishment, the champion was able to survive until the end of the round.
Bisping ignored the blood streaming down his face and started the second by landing some stinging shots of his own, but with a little more than a minute to go, Henderson uncorked another right hand to floor the champion for a second time.
Once again, Bisping held on grimly to the end of the round and with Henderson breathing heavily, the Briton bounced back to take the third round.
Both men had their chances in the fourth and fifth rounds, but Bisping just about did enough to shade it on the scorecards.
“This guy is incredible. At his age, he just kicked my ass. You’ve got to respect the guy he’s a legend,” a gracious but battered Bisping said in a post-bout interview after the decision was announced.
For Henderson it was to be his last professional fight and while he will be remembered as a UFC great, he goes into retirement without ever having won a belt in mixed martial arts’ largest and most prestigious circuit.
“Fortunately for you guys, this is the last time that anyone will see me fight live,” he said. “I appreciate all the support throughout the years, I gave my heart and soul to this sport, and fans like you… made it worthwhile.”