• Associate Sponsor

Kevin Durant apologises to India, says ‘I am coming back’

Kevin Durant apologised for his comments about India being 20 years behind world in experience and knowledge. In a tweet, Durant said that he is really pissed how his comments came off and he should have worded it better.

By: Express Web Desk | New Delhi | Updated: August 12, 2017 11:53 am
kevin durant, kevin durant india, nba india Kevin Durant was in India last month. (Source: AP)

A day after his interview in which he said that India is 20 years behind the world in knowledge and experience appeared, Kevin Durant has apologised for his comments about the country and said that his comments were taken out of context. The NBA star added that he is really pissed how his comments came off and he should have worded it better.

“Sorry that my comments about India were taken out of context. I’m grateful for the time I’ve got to spend there and I’m really pissed about how my comments come off. That’s my fault. Should’ve worded that better,” he wrote.

Durant talked about his visit to India explained what he felt like in the country in an interview. He said that India is just a bunch of underprivileged people who want to learn basketball.

“It’s a country that’s 20 years behind in terms of knowledge and experience. You see cows in the street, monkeys running around everywhere, hundreds of people on the side of the road, a million cars and no traffic violations. Just a bunch of underprivileged people there and they want to learn how to play basketball. That s— was really, really dope to me,” Durant told The Athletic in an interview.

But, in a tweet he posted on Friday, Durant apologised for what he said in the interview to The Athletic. He also clarified that he only spoke about his imagination of India and what he actually saw in New Delhi when he arrive for his visit under the NBA program, adding that he only compared the state of basketball in India and where the game is in the country as compared to the rest of the world.

“I spoke about the difference between my imagination and reality there in Delhi and about where the game is compared to the rest of the world,” he added.

The Golden State Warriors player also vowed that he will come back to India for more camps and added a “sorry” at the end of his post.

“No offense from this side. I’m coming back out there for more camps and cool s***. Sorry….” he tweeted.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

1. J
    Joaquim Gonsalves
    Aug 14, 2017 at 1:38 pm
    All the way from India : Kewin Durant is absolutely RIGHT , in criticising India, He has not spoken Lies , he has spoken the Truth, Why do people have to say all sorts of names to him. If you would like to know Every Foreigner who comes to India like Kewin Durant I repeat every Foreigner , says There are Cows Monkeys Dogs running all over the place, and not only in Delhi But in all other Cities of India too.People keep spitting all over roads , Not Hygienic , Not well dressed. Instead of Back lashing Kewin why dont you Indians try to develop Your country .
    (0)(0)
    1. V
      Vikram
      Aug 13, 2017 at 10:35 am
      Why abuse him when we all know that what he said is absolutely true. 1) stray dogs everywhere -- even in BAngalore, Pune, Mumbai, cities in Kerala, etc. Our people, especially city administration is lazy and corrupt. They think it is quite OK to have these dogs everywhere. Our animal rights advocate put dogs above humans, our Supreme Court too doesn't see anything odd in stray and dangerous dogs roaming everywhere. So Kevin is absolutely right 2) monekys everywhere -- definitely true 3) hundreds of people on roadsides -- everywhere it is true. it is more like thousands of aimless people standing on roadsides and spitting everywhere, drinking chai, whistling at women, or just killing time 4) dis-organized traffic -- true as well! Why get angry at Kevin. This is the observation of every first time visitor to India. It is just that we have got used to it, and refuse to see the truth or more like seeing virtue in that filth and chaos.
      (0)(0)
      1. J
        Joaquim Gonsalves
        Aug 14, 2017 at 1:40 pm
        Vikram is truly a a honest speaker , I am with you Vikram.
        (0)(0)
      2. F
        FilthyAfricanNigger
        Aug 12, 2017 at 5:12 pm
        Don't come, please. We don't need your travel business, you dirty ! You are in USA because you were a slave once, shipped from africa, a filthy country. You want to come to my country and abuse us. We don't know. Take your travel business elsewhere. We are fully capable of surviving without your tourism.
        (0)(0)
        1. V
          Vinayak
          Aug 12, 2017 at 9:03 pm
          Don't racially abuse him..there are plenty of other means to vent your anger out.Just yesterday,I was watching videos of Racial attacks on Africans in India,some of it could be true but much of it I highly believe is part of Western propoganda to prove our country a racist country, and by such comments we are only proving them right.Besides, there are many Indians who shame India and its social structure on International platforms and all of them aren't necessarily fair complexioned.Would you use such a derogatory language for them too?
          (0)(0)
            Rustam
            Aug 13, 2017 at 3:06 pm
            100 True brother...this need to visit Africa and then he will come to know about how his uncle, aunty and brothers are living like pigs. I don't know why we Indian have that mindset that we will always support these s .I would like to see their comments if someone comments on their sister mother or family. We already know everything about our country so we don't need that view about our country.
            (0)(0)
          2. Prasad Popuri
            Aug 12, 2017 at 4:58 pm
            There is truth in what he has said. But India is more than filth,cows and poverty.
            (0)(0)
            1. Kajan Lakhan
              Aug 12, 2017 at 3:50 pm
              Publicity stunts. It worked, because I got to know alittle about kkk and American situation. And India. I appeal for a leather ball, with a short hoop with a chain net..... " Lets shoot some hoops" KaL
              (0)(0)