N Ramachandran, chief of the World Squash Federation, is all set to be elected unopposed as the new president of the Indian Olympic Association on Sunday. If the International Olympic Committee is satisfied with the much-delayed election process, it will clear the decks for India’s return to the Olympic fold, ending the 14-month suspension of the IOA. Representatives of the international body will be at hand to witness the elections and if things go to plan, India’s re-intergration shouldn’t take too long.
With no opposing candidates having filed nomination papers for any of the senior administrative spots, Kho-Kho federation chief Rajeev Mehta and All-India Tennis Association head Anil Khanna will also be named as the new secretary general and the treasurer of the IOA.
But the first order of business will be the ratification of the amendments to the IOA’s constitutions, including that of barring the tainted officials from holding any posts and also barring them from contesting polls.
Elections will be held only for the post of the vice president, where nine candidates are in fray for eight positions with all others office-bearers are set to elected unopposed.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
A four-member delegation, led by the International Olympic Committee’s Pere Miro, director NOC Relations, will be present for the election. Also present at the occasion will be Jerome Poivey, head of institutional relations and governance, IOC member Robin Michelle and Olympic Council of Asia’s Hussain Al-Mussalam.
Meanwhile, one post from the ten-member executive council will remain empty as Indian Boxing Federation’s senior vice president Bhupinder Singh had to withdraw after both the International Boxing Federation (AIBA) and the IOC objected.
The AIBA wrote to the IOC last week contenting that since IBF is suspended no member from the body can either vote or take part in the election process. Following this both the fencing and Taekwondo associations were also suspended by the international federations.