India finally managed to earn their first points in the World Cup Hockey as they held Spain to a 1-1 draw as custodian PR Sreejesh effected at least four brilliant saves. The Indian goalkeeper fought gallantly to effect numerous saves as Spain’s strikers often broke past the jittery Indian defence only to find Sreejesh standing like a rock.
India went into the lead, for the first time in this World Cup, courtesy a penalty stroke conversion by Rupinder Pal Singh in the 28th minute. Roc Olivia equalized for Spain with a low flick just one minute before half-time after Sreejesh had blocked two earlier shots at the goal.
Spain forced the first penalty corner in the seventh minute, but Sergi Enrique’s drag flick was stopped by Indian custodian Sreejesh. At the other end, Rupinder Pal’s long diagonal ball found striker Lalit Upadhyay, but his deflection was way off the target.
The Indian goal came under threat in the 17th minute when Salvador Piera was in a one-on-one position with goalkeeper Sreejesh, who padded away the shot. Sreejesh was again in action to block the second Spanish penalty corner conceded by erratic Indian defence. India went into the lead on a penalty stroke which was awarded when Dharamvir Singh’s diagonal assist was picked up by Mandeep Singh on top of the circle.
He was tripped from behind by Spanish defender Ramon Alegre as he created space for a shy at the goal. A lapse in their own territory by the Indians allowed Spain to get the equalizer. Defender VR Raghunath lost the ball allowed the Spaniards to build an attack with the Indian half-line out of their positions. Couple of tries by the Spanish strikers were brilliantly parried by Sreejesh before Olivia slotted the ball into the goal.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More