Bradley Wiggins has ruled himself out of participating in the Tour de France after the 2012 champion hinted that Team Sky are unlikely to select him in their squad, the Briton said on Friday.
“Right now, I think I can tell you that I will not ride the Tour de France,” Wiggins told France sports daily L’Equipe after he was overlooked for the Dauphine Librere, a key Tour warmup event in southeastern France.
“I was ready to go. But in the last weeks, it has become clear that unless something happens to (Chris) Froome at the Dauphine, I will not ride the Tour. That’s it.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Fellow Briton Froome won the Tour last year and is favourite to repeat the triumph in the July 5-27 race that starts in Yorkshire.
Wiggins said he discussed the situation with team manager Dave Brailsford two days ago.
“He said that if Froome got injured… I could help Richie Porte, for instance,” Wiggins recalled.
“It’s personally disappointing but one can understand when they picked that team (for the Dauphine.”
Wiggins, who will instead ride in the Tour of Switzerland, added he could leave the team to further his ambitions of riding in the Tour again.
“If I want to do the Tour, I will probably have to leave Sky.”