Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal on Friday welcomed the appointment of tennis star Sania Mirza as brand ambassador of Telangana but voiced hurt over erstwhile Andhra Pradesh government not keeping its promise of awarding cash prize to her on winning Olympic medal.
“I am happy to know that Sania Mirza has become the brand ambassador of Telangana and I am proud of Telangana, but I am very hurt and sad that I have still not received the cash award from my (erstwhile) state for the Olympics bronze medal that I won for my country,” Saina tweeted today.
The Andhra Pradesh government, headed by the then Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, had announced a cash award of Rs 50 lakh for Saina after she won a bronze medal at London Olympics in 2012.
“I am not in a position to reply to Saina Nehwal unfortunately. I hope, she gets what she deserves….because she has done so much for this country and the state. I am sure, with CM (K Chandrasekhar Rao) like ours, we are moving forward and I am sure he will take it forward,” Sania said.
On the ongoing Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, she said, “It’s sad that tennis is not a part of the games this
time. I would have really loved to play after the good experience of playing in Delhi four years ago, I played and won couple of medals there.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Today (Friday), India has won some medals. Congratulations for India. I hope we will break the records.”
On encouragement to other sports, she said, “We have come a long way. Things won’t happen overnight. At
Commonwealth Games in Delhi, other sports got a lot of recognition. (Wrestler) Sushil Kumar and (shooter) Gagan Narang have become household names.”