Dutee Chand will continue to run till CAS verdict

Dutee was withdrawn from the team for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last year.

By: Express News Service | Updated: March 29, 2015 9:40 am
Dutee Chand, Dutee Chand ban, Sports News Dutee’s appeal against the IAAF regulations governing women athletes with hyperandrogenism came up for hearing at CAS last week.

Indian sprinter Dutee Chand, who has challenged her ineligibility to participate in the female category on grounds of hyperandrogenism, has been allowed to ‘continue to compete’ by the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) till it arrives at a comprehensive verdict.

Dutee’s appeal against the IAAF regulations governing women athletes with hyperandrogenism came up for hearing at CAS last week, and though an official statement is yet to be issued, a person involved in the legal process said that the athlete could continue to compete.

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

However, it is not clear yet whether the latest development will allow her to participate in international competitions. The Asian Athletics Championships is to be held in the first week of June in China, while four legs of the Indian Grand Prix Series and the Federation Cup will be held prior to the Asian event.

Dutee was withdrawn from the team for the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow last year after test results showed androgen (male hormone) levels above permissible limits.

She was debarred from competing till CAS provided provisional relief earlier this year. Dr Payoshni Mitra, a research consultant on gender and sports issues, who has been working with Dutee, said: “The CAS hearing was presided over by three excellent arbitrators. We are pleased with the hearing and look forward to the CAS decision in the coming months. Because the decision is pending we cannot discuss the case any further.”

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    indian super league 2017 schedule

    indian super league 2017 points table