Deepika Kumari-led women archers clinched the recurve team gold after routing Mexico 6-0 in the final as India returned with five medals in the Archery World Cup Stage IV in Wroclaw, Poland.
Deepika herself won three medals today as she also bagged a bronze each in recurve women’s individual event and recurve mixed team pair event with her partner Jayanta Talukdar.
The men’s recurve team settled for a silver after losing to Mexico 3-5 in the final on Sunday. The Indian compound mixed pair of Abhishek Verma and Puvasha Shende had clinched a silver medal last night.
In the women’s recurve team event, the second seeded India women’s trio of Deepika, Bombayla Devi and Laxmirani Majhi routed Mexico 6-0 without surrendering a single set point.
Deepika herself shot three of the Indian team’s five 10s. “The match was not too difficult. Hopefully we can do the same at the Asian Games,” said Deepika. “This event has already raised our confidence. We have had a difficult season, but the hard work we have put in ahead of Incheon is starting to pay off.” The Indian trio had earlier trounced their opponents from Georgia 6-2 in the semifinals.
men settle for silver
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
In the men’s recurve team final, however, the Indian trio of Tarundeep Rai, Jayanta Talukdar and Atanu Das lost to Mexico 3-5. Mexico took a 2-0 lead and never looked back. India trailed 2-4 in the fourth set with Mexico’s anchor archer Juan Rene Serrano only needing a red to seal the match.
The only right-handed archer in Mexico’s team, Juan Rene shot last in the trio’s rotation and he did not make any mistake. It was the second World Cup stage team gold for Mexico. The other was won at Medellin last year.
In the women’s recurve individual event, Deepika beat Tatiana Segina of Russia 6-2 in the bronze-medal match. Deepika then partnered Talukdar in the recurve mixed team pair event and thrashed their Belarus opponents 6-0 in the bronze-medal match on Sunday.