Anthony Joshua has received official sanction to fight veteran Wladimir Klitschko for the vacant WBA heavyweight title in the spring of 2017, but the British boxer must first defend his IBF title against Eric Molina in Manchester on Dec. 10.
Joshua said on Tuesday he would put his IBF belt on the line against the 34-year-old Molina, his second defence of the title since stopping American Dominic Breazeale in the seventh round earlier this year to take his professional record to 17-0.
Klitschko lost his IBF, WBO and WBA belts to Tyson Fury last November but their scheduled rematch was first called off when the Briton picked up an injury in training before it was jettisoned due to the champion’s mental health issues.
Fury, who has admitted to taking cocaine to deal with depression, has since vacated the WBA and WBO titles, and Joshua was linked to a Klitschko bout that fell through partly due to confusion over whether the WBA title would be on the line.
On Wednesday, the WBA officially sanctioned the match between the two fighters for the vacant title.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“It’s been an arduous wait to gain official approval but we were delighted to receive the news that the WBA will officially sanction the fight,” Joshua’s promoter Eddie Hearn said in a statement.
“We will now move forward with (Klitschko’s manager) Bernd Boente and Team Klitschko in planning the date and venue knowing that victory against Eric Molina in Manchester on Dec. 10 is more important than ever.”
American Molina has compiled a 25-3 professional record with his last defeat coming against undefeated WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder in June 2015.