Indian boxer Neeraj Goyat is all set to break into the WBC’s world rankings after retaining his welterweight Asia title by outpunching Australian Ben Kite.
The 24-year-old prevailed via unanimous decision in the gruelling 12-round contest against his 26-year-old rival, who came in with an experience of fighting 9 bouts.
“My opponent was a hard-puncher, his reach was also longer but I kept my patience and eventually managed to tire him out,” Neeraj told PTI after becoming the first Indian boxer to defend a pro title.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
Neeraj had won the belt last year by defeating Filipino Nelson Gulpe, also in a 12-round battle. He came into last night’s contest with 7 wins in 11 fights and is now expected to break into the WBC world rankings, which will be a step towards getting him a shot at the world title.
“I will now aim for the world title, that would be my next target but there is some time before that materialises. For the time being I might head to the US,” he said.
World Boxing Council’s (WBC) Asia Secretary General Patrick Cusick said the Indian will be entering the world rankings which would be updated in three weeks’ time.
“He has six months’ time to defend his title but that can be relaxed if he has a busy schedule. For now, he will be entering the WBC world rankings which would be out in 3 weeks,” Cusick said.
The Australian said he was satisfied with the smooth conduct of the fight night by Professional Boxing Organisation of India (PBOI).
“I am going back a very satisfied man. All the fights were very good and the entire evening was put together quite well by PBOI. They do seem to have a good idea about how it is done. I was very impressed with the fighters who competed in the undercard, they showed a lot of courage,” Cusick said.
In the undercard bouts, which were four-round contests, former Commonwealth Games bronze-medallist Amandeep Singh defeated former Federation Cup champion Sunil Sharma in the super featherweight division (59kg) to make a winning debut in the professional circuit.
In the cruiserweight (91kg) category, multiple-time national champion Kuldeep Singh was upstaged by Geetanand Singh, while in the super welterweight (70kg) category Deepak Tanwar got the better of Dilbag Thakran.