Sergio Perez stays with Esteban Ocon at Force India in 2018

Sergio Perez, who had been linked with other teams including Renault who have now opted for Spaniard Carlos Sainz, said staying was always his priority. Perez is currently seventh in the overall standings, three points ahead of Esteban Ocon in eighth.

By: Reuters | Singapore | Updated: September 17, 2017 4:40 pm
Formula One, Sergio Perez, Force India, Esteban Ocon Sergio Perez will stay at Force India next season in an unchanged line-up with Frenchman Esteban Ocon. (Source: AP)

Mexican driver Sergio Perez will stay at Force India next season in an unchanged line-up with Frenchman Esteban Ocon, the Formula One team said ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday.

The deal will take Perez, who joined the Silverstone-based outfit in 2014 after a single unhappy season at former champions McLaren, into a fifth successive season with the team.

“Alongside Esteban, retaining Sergio gives us stability going into next season and one of the most exciting driver pairings in Formula One,” said the team’s co-owner and principal Vijay Mallya.

The Mercedes-backed 20-year-old joined Perez at Force India at the start of this season. The pair have clashed on track several times but have been instrumental in putting the outfit on course to finish fourth in the overall standings for the second successive year.

“Staying with Sahara Force India was always my priority,” said Perez, who had been linked with other teams including Renault who have now opted for Spaniard Carlos Sainz.

“It’s a team that has allowed me to show my talents as a driver and I feel very happy here. I’m proud of everything we have already achieved together and I think there is more to come.”

With Perez confirmed at Force India and Sainz at Renault, the focus now shifts to Felipe Massa and his future at Williams. The Brazilian, who came back from a brief retirement this season, is out of contract at the end of the year.

There are several contenders for his seat, including Robert Kubica, who has brought retired champion and former Williams driver Nico Rosberg on to his management team.

It would also appear to leave Mercedes-backed junior Pascal Wehrlein, who is expected to be replaced by Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc at Sauber, short of options.

The 22-year-old would have been favourite to land the seat at Mercedes-powered Force India had Perez moved on. Fernando Alonso’s future is also up in the air but the double world champion is set to agree an extension to his three-year stint at McLaren, after the Woking-based squad announced it would be swapping Honda engines for Renault ones.

Perez is currently seventh in the overall standings, three points ahead of Ocon in eighth.

For all the latest Sports News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results
    Express Adda
    Pro Kabaddi League 2017 - Points Table
    No.
    Team
    P
    W
    L
    D
    Pts

    Pro Kabaddi League 2017 - Schedule
    Sep 24, 201721:00 IST
    Thyagaraj Sports Complex, Delhi
    24
    Zone A - Match 93
    FT
    42
    Haryana Steelers beat Dabang Delhi K.C. (42-24)
    Sep 26, 201720:00 IST
    Thyagaraj Sports Complex, Delhi
    VS
    Inter Zone Challenge Week - Match 94
    Sep 26, 201721:00 IST
    Thyagaraj Sports Complex, Delhi
    VS
    Inter Zone Challenge Week - Match 95