Indian racing driver Narain Karthikeyan began his 2014 Super Formula campaign by qualifying second for the season opener on Sunday.
The completely revamped Super Formula series (erstwhile known as Formula Nippon) has switched to a new Dallara SF14 chassis this year; powered by two-litre, 550 bhp turbocharged engines – similar to the new Formula 1 regulations.
“It is incredible to qualify on the front row on the first weekend of the season, considering the competition. We managed to improve bit by bit over the weekend and hopefully will be in a good place for the race,” said Karthikeyan after the qualifying at the famed Suzuka Circuit here today.
Driving for Team Impul Hoshino Racing, the 37-year-old qualified just a tenth behind 24-hour Le Mans winner and World Endurance champion Andre Lotterer of Team Tom’s Toyota.
Like Formula 1, Super Formula features a knockout-based qualifying format with Q1, Q2 and Q3 sessions determining the final grid for the 43-lap, 250km long race on Sunday.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Karthikeyan was consistently in the top five during the practice sessions and managed to make a considerable step forward in qualifying to get closer to the front-running Tom’s Toyota factory team.
“The Tom’s drivers (Lotterer and Nakajima) have been in a class of their own throughout the weekend so splitting them is incredibly satisfying. Just four-tenths cover the top five so it is very close at the front,” Karthikeyan an added.
Former Force India reserve driver James Rossiter was fourth while 2010 series champion and Karthikeyan’s Team Impul teammate Joao Paulo de Oliveira qualified fifth.
The first race of the season is set to be a step into the unknown, considering the drivers will have contend with a new launch system, with clutch on the steering (like Formula 1) – fuel loads and tyre degradation being other critical factors.
2014 Super Formula Calendar:
April 13 Suzuka Circuit, May 18 Fuji Speedway, TBA Korea, July 13 Fuji Speedway, Aug 24 Twin Ring Motegi, Sept 14 Autopolis, Sept 28 Sportsland Sugo Nov 9 Suzuka Circuit.