Russian driver Daniil Kvyat caused bemusement in Friday’s Japanese Grand Prix practice when he told his Toro Rosso Formula One team that a “baby octopus” had appeared on his car.
“Oh no, the octopus is back,” he exclaimed during the opening session, the comment broadcast to the worldwide television audience and reminiscent of Max Verstappen’s surprise when a monitor lizard appeared on the track at the recent Singapore race.
“It’s quite a small one, a baby octopus.”
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The team later clarified on Twitter that the driver was referring to a piece of rubber shed by the tyres that had become caught on one of the sensor aerials sticking out from the nose of the car.
As the rubber unravelled, it began flailing in the air like the tentacles of an octopus.
Kvyat, who ended the day with the 14th-fastest time, first made the comparison after the 2014 Chinese Grand Prix when a larger piece was entangled with the antenna in front of him.
“In China it was almost hitting my visor so I was really struggling. I was fighting it. But the one today was small, a baby one, so just born,” he said.
“Considering what happened today, I will definitely go for some octopus sushi for dinner tonight.”