Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday congratulated India women’s hockey team after they won the Asian Champions Trophy hockey tournament. They beat China 2-1 in the thrilling final to lift the title in Singapore.
“Congrats to our women’s hockey team for winning the Asian Champions Trophy 2016. It is a great moment for Indian hockey. @TheHockeyIndia,” the Prime Minister wrote on his twitter handle.
The result comes less than a week after India men’s hockey team beat arch-rivals Pakistan to reclaim the Asian Champions Trophy in Kuantan, Malaysia.
Before this result, India’s best outing in the Women’s Asian Champions Trophy came in the last edition in 2013 when they finished runner-up to Japan.
Twitterati went crazy after India’s recent feat and congratulatory messages came from all quarters. From the men’s team to Sachin Tendulkar to hockey coach Roelant Oltmans, everyone took note of the achievment and praised the show on social media.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Congrats to our women’s hockey team for winning the Asian Champions Trophy 2016. It is a great moment for Indian hockey. @TheHockeyIndia
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 5 November 2016
India were locked at 1-1 with China in the fourth quarter when Deepika produced a stunning winner to hand India the title in the dying moments of the game. The final hooter was less than 20 seconds away but that time was enough for India’s ace forward to find the back of the net.
This win completes a good week for both men’s and women’s hockey teams as both return home with Asian Champions Trophy titles.