India defeated Pakistan in the Asian Champions Trophy final held in Malaysia on Sunday. With this India won the tournament for the first time in five years.
India had taken a second quarter lead of 2-0 but Pakistan nicked one at the end of the quarter. Pakistan levelled the score in the third quarter and then the two teams exchanged attacks. India finally clinched the winning goal through Nikkin Thimmaiah.
Rupinder Pal Singh continued his form into the final and was the one who opened the scoring for India in the 18th minute. He is the top goalscorer of the tournament. Pakistan were defending champions after. Rupinder was later declared player of the tournament. India had earlier met Pakistan in the same tournament. The match was a thriller and had exactly the same scoreline in India’s favour.
Pakistan pulled one back through Bilal in the 28th minute as he converted a penalty corner. Pakistan tied the match 2-2 after Ali Shan scored a field goal after a defensive error from India. India wasted a couple of chances in the fourth quarter to take the lead. It was Nikkin Thimmaiah’s goal in the 51st minute that gave India the 3-2 lead.
India held on to this till the end of the time to win the match 3-2 and the gold medal for the second time in the tournament.Malaysia won the bronze medal by beating South Korea in a play-off match.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Here is how twitter reacted to the victory:
— Lt. Anurag Thakur (@ianuragthakur) 30 October 2016
Congratulations India. Very well played #INDvPAK 👏
— Nirmala Sitharaman (@nsitharaman) 30 October 2016
— Arvind Gupta (@buzzindelhi) 30 October 2016
— Viren Rasquinha (@virenrasquinha) 30 October 2016
Congratulations Team India hockey team for wining Asian Champions Trophy #ACT2016 in Malaysia. Great victory. We are all very proud of you
This is the second time India have won the tournament. India won the inaugural tournament in 2011 but finished runners-up to Pakistan in 2012. Pakistan defended their title in 2013.