Indian hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand will be conferred with the ‘Bharat Gaurav’ Lifetime Achivement Award by NRI orgainsation Sanskriti Yuva Sangstha at the House of Commons inside the British Parliament of July 25.
On behalf of Dhyan Chand, his son and former Indian hockey player Ashok Kumar will receive the award.
- When Major Dhyan Chand stood in queue to watch hockey
- I appreciate the government recommending my father’s name for Bharat Ratna: Dhyan Chand’s son Ashok Kumar
- Vijay Goel requests government to confer Bharat Ratna on Major Dhyan Chand
- Dhyan Chand should have got Bharat Ratna ahead of Sachin, say former hockey greats
- Rajya Sabha members demand Bharat Ratna for Major Dhyan Chand
- Kins,admirers want Dhyan Chand to be given Bharat Ratna first
“It is a proud moment for the entire family. This award is a big thing for us. It translates Dada Dhyan Chand’s popularity beyond India,” said Kumar.
Dhyan Chand had helped India win three successive gold medals in Olympics. To his credit, he had scored over 400 goals in his international career.
Dhyan Chand was one of the nominees in 2014 for the prestigious Bharat Ratna, an award which cricketer Sachin Tendulkar and scientist C N Rao eventually received.
In 1936, when India won the gold medal in Berlin Olympics, Hitler offered Dhyan Chand to join the German team but he denied the offer.