It has been four years since the four quarter format lasting 60 minutes of play was introduced in field hockey at the London Olympic Games, but strangely the domestic competitions in this country are still being played under the old format.
The 51st Bombay Gold Cup tournament, being held currently, is being held as per the discarded (by International Hockey Federation) two-halves format lasting 70 minutes in all.
Asked about the reason, tournament organisers – Mumbai Hockey Association Limited – said it was being done as per the directive received from Hockey India.
“We have been told to hold the tournament only under the old format by Hockey India as all domestic tournaments are being conducted under this format only,” said MHAL secretary Ram Singh Rathore.
Other MHAL sources told PTI that this question had been put to HI but there has been no reply on the rationale behind this decision.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Significantly, the Hockey India League is being conducted over the years on the four-quarter format, much before it was put into practise at the international level.
Even the senior nationals are being played under the new format, informed sources said.