Ranchi Rhinos outclassed Uttar Pradesh Wizards 2-1 in the latter’s first home match at the Dhyan Chand Stadium, Lucknow, on Saturday. The Rhinos enjoyed greater ball possession in the win that allowed them to avenge their 2-3 loss against the Wizards in Ranchi earlier in this second season of the Hockey India League.
The Rhinos took the lead in the last minute of the first quarter through drag-flicker Ashley Jackson, who converted a penalty-corner. Barry Middleton consolidated the lead in the 26th minute through a well-timed field goal.
In the third quarter, the Wizards adopted an attacking approach but the Rhinos defense ,led by their captain Moritz Furste, seemed impregnable.
The Wizards, however, succeeded in reducing the margin to 2-1 when Edward Ockenden scored in the 50th minute. But thereafter, the Rhinos maintained their stranglehold on the match.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
After the match, UP Wizards captain VR Raghunath said, “Today’s defeat is a bit disappointing. But there is a long way to go in this tournament. I also expect the players to get some good penalty-corners against Jaypee Punjab Warriors.”
Wizards coach Roelant Oltmans said, “This evening we will think about what went wrong today and then plan about how to go tomorrow.”
Rhinos coach Gregg Clark said, “Our best is yet to come. We are looking forward to our matches at home now.”
Other result: Kalinga Lancers beat Mumbai Magicians 2-1