Hockey India today announced an 18-member Indian junior men’s team for the Junior World Cup scheduled to be held at Lucknow from December 8 to 18.
The team includes dragflicker and defender Harmanpreet Singh, who has been nominated for the 2016 Rising Star of the Year award from the FIH. He was also part of the Indian team that participated in the 2016 Rio Olympics.
Known for his abilities as a striker, Mandeep Singh too finds himself in the squad. He was part of India’s forwardline in the FIH Champions Trophy in London earlier this year where he rose to the occasion scoring three field goals in crucial matches.
He will be joined in the forward line by Armaan Qureshi, Parvinder Singh, Gurjant Singh, Ajit Kumar Pandey and Simranjeet Singh.
Defender and dragflicker Varun Kumar who scored the maximum goals in India’s successful campaign in Valencia will be joined by Vikramjit Singh and Gurinder Singh in the defence structure, while the midfield will be formed by Santa Singh, Nilakanta Sharma, Manpreet, Sumit along with Harjeet Singh.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
India’s custodian in goal will be Vikas Dahiya who was also part of the Indian team at the Rio Olympics as a stand-by goalkeeper for PR Sreejesh. Krishan B Pathak will be the second goalkeeper for India.
“The final combination has been formed keeping in mind the recent results. I believe this team combination is the best we have in junior hockey and the boys are ready both mentally and physically to do everything it takes to stand on the podium,” said Roelant Oltmans.
“Though our goal is to win the gold medal, we will be taking it match-by-match and the best part is that this group knows how to keep their emotions in check,” he added.
India will begin their campaign against Canada on December 8th and will face England on December 10th and play South Africa on December 12th as part of their Pool D league matches.
The matches can be seen live on Star Sports 4 and Star Sports HD 4.
GOALKEEPERS: Vikas Dahiya, Krishan B Pathak
DEFENDERS: Dipsan Tirkey, Harmanpreet Singh, Varun Kumar, Vikramjit Singh, Gurinder Singh.
MIDFIELDERS: Harjeet Singh, Santa Singh, Nilakanta Sharma Manpreet, Sumit
FORWARDS: Parvinder Singh, Gurjant Singh, Armaan Qureshi, Mandeep Singh, Ajit Kumar Pandey, Simranjeet Singh.