India’s World Cup campaign got off to the worst possible start after striker Ramandeep Singh suffered a nasty injury during a warm-up match against Argentina in The Hague, which ruled him out of the tournament. He will be replaced by Lalit Upadhyay, who left for Holland on Sunday night.
The 21-year-old seriously damaged his right eye socket and cheek bone while trying to stop a scoop from an Argentine player in the second half. The full-blooded shot hit him directly in the eye. Ramandeep was immediately rushed to a nearby hospital where a surgery was performed, Hockey India said in a release.
He was accompanied by India’s high performance director Roelant Oltmans. The extent of damage wasn’t immediately known. “He was playing well and was looking sharp till he got injured. We are more concerned about his vision. We are waiting to hear from Roelant and Terry (Walsh), who are with him at the hospital. No one knows how bad it is. Hopefully, it won’t be very serious,” a team member said.
Ramandeep made his India debut in September last year and has been a regular in the squad since, filling the void of a goal-poacher that India had. His reputation was further enhanced when he became the highest-paid player in the Hockey India League after he was picked by Oltmans-coached Uttar Pradesh Wizards.
Ramandeep’s replacement Upadhyay too is considered to be among the bright young players in the country. Upadhyay was impressive during the HIL, where he played for Walsh’s Kalinga Lancers.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Five years ago, goalkeeper Baljit Singh too suffered a serious injury to his right eye during training. He nearly lost vision but the injury brought a premature end to a promising international career. India, meanwhile, lost the warm-up tie. India will play one more practice match against South Africa on Wednesday before kicking-off their campaign against Belgium on Sunday.