The Indian Junior Men’s hockey team under Harjeet Singh is all set to participate in the four-nation International Junior hockey tournament from October 24 to 30 in Valencia.
Dipsan Tirkey will shoulder the responsibility of the vice-captain.
Goalkeeper Vikas Dahiya, who was stand-by goalkeeper for PR Sreejesh at the Rio Olympics, will also feature in the team along with Suraj Karkera as the second goalkeeper.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The defence line-up will see Varun Kumar, who had an impressive outing at the Australian Hockey League with seven goals including a hat-trick. He will be joined by Gurinder Singh, Dipsan Tirkey, Harmanpreet Singh, Hardik Singh and Anand Lakra.
The midfield will be formed by captain Harjeet, Nilakanta Sharma, Santa Singh, Sumit and Shamsher Singh, while the forward line will be led by the talented Armaan Qureshi, who scored four goals in the recently concluded Australian Hockey League, alongside Manpreet, Gurjant Singh, Parvinder Singh, Ajay Yadav, Simranjeet Singh and Ajit Kumar Pandey.
India will take on 2013 Junior World Champions Germany in their opening game on October 24 before playing Belgium and hosts Spain.
“The boys played their heart out in the Australian Hockey League and their performance was commendable. In Valencia, we will now meet some of the top junior teams like Germany, Belgium and Spain which should keep us in good stead for the Junior World Cup later this year,” Harendra Singh, Indian Junior Men’s team coach, said.
“We have learnt a few things during the AHL and are in the process of ironing out the current challenges to emerge as strong as we can before we go to Lucknow for the Junior Hockey World Cup in December,” he added.
Goalkeepers: Vikas Dahiya, Suraj Karkera.
Defenders: Varun Kumar, Dipsan Tirkey (vc), Hardik Singh, Gurinder Singh, Harmanpreet Singh, Anand Lakra.
Midfielders : Nilakanta Sharma, Harjeet Singh (c), Santa Singh, Sumit, Shamsher Singh.
Forwards: Armaan Qureshi, Gurjant Singh, Manpreet, Parvinder Singh, Ajay Yadav, Simranjeet Singh, Ajit Kumar