Former exercise physiologist of the senior national men’s team David John of Australia was on Tuesday officially appointed as the High Performance Director of Indian hockey.
John, whose appointment was officially confirmed by Hockey India, will take over the charge of High Performance Director from Roelant Oltmans, who has been relieved from the post after being named as the chief coach of the Indian men’s hockey team till 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
John has previously worked with the senior national men’s team as an exercise physiologist and scientific advisor prior to 2012 London Olympics.
In his previous role, John had implemented and introduced new strength and training programs for the Indian men hockey team, which is responsible behind the much-improved fitness of the national players.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
John has also worked in a similar role — as a High Performance Director — for two teams in the Hockey India League, most recently for Kalinga Lancers’ in the 2016 season where the team finished runners up.
John has vast experience across various sporting disciplines, which includes hockey, rugby, Australian Rules Football and triathlons.
Speaking about John’s appointment, Hockey India secretary general Mohd Mushtaque Ahmad said: “We welcome David’s (John) inclusion into a role that has over the years become one of great importance for Hockey India. A High Performance Director’s role is one that is not just demanding in the present but also has to include a vision for the future.
“We are confident with David’s extensive experience and background in sports science, out athletes will have the best planning and assistance ahead of the 2020 Olympic Games.”
John himself said he was looking forward to his new demanding job.
“The role comes with its own unique set of challenges. I am hopeful that my previous experience as well as presence of people who share a deep and long history with the game in the country will help me fulfil my role,” he said.
“One of the crucial areas is the identification and nurturing of talent in the country and look to develop the team for the 2020 Games. I look forward to working towards that,” John added.