Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane does not understand why some fans have turned on Cristiano Ronaldo as the Portuguese striker struggles to end a barren streak.
The 31-year-old Ronaldo, who along with team mate Gareth Bale is on the shortlist for the 2016 Ballon d’Or for the world’s best player, has failed to score in four straight games at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium, a first in his Real career since joining in 2009.
He was jeered during Sunday’s 2-1 win over Athletic Bilbao even though the result returned Zidane’s side to the top of the table.
“I don’t understand the jeers but at the same time, I was also jeered and it can happen,” Zidane, who won the World Cup as a player with France as well as league titles with Juventus and Real, told reporters on Tuesday.
“The public demands a lot from the players and the Bernabeu is special. Cristiano knows that and is not concerned by it.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Bale and other team mates have come to Ronaldo’s defence, arguing that he excels in other aspects of the game.
Zidane expects Ronaldo to rediscover his goalscoring touch soon.
“Of course I prefer if he scores two of three goals per game,” Zidane said. “But I’m not worried because I know it will happen.
“He is not making his chances now but he will, soon he will do so and with calmness.”
Zidane said that if Ronaldo, Bale and Karim Benzema are fit, they would always play but Portuguese’s current form has sparked a debate about his place in the team.
“I have three stars and they are going to be very important for the team,” Zidane said. “The others may play less but there are still as important to me. There are always going to be some that have less minutes than others. This is logical.
“For me, they are all important.”
Real play at Cultural Leonesa in the first leg of their last-32 King’s Cup tie on Wednesday.