Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure hit out at Manchester City, claiming his club denied him compassionate leave at the end of the Premier League season to be with his brother, who was dying of cancer.
Ibrahim Toure died of the disease aged just 28 in Manchester last Thursday, while his brothers Yaya and Kolo were at the World Cup finals in Brazil.
“At the end of the season, I wanted to stay four or five days with my brother before flying to prepare the World Cup with Ivory Coast,” Yaya Toure wrote in a column in France Football magazine.
“But City did not wish to grant me those few days. I went to celebrate the title in Abu Dhabi while my brother was dying in his bed.
“Fortunately, Kolo was at his bedside. Afterwards, I regretted that I had not insisted. However, (City) executives knew that I was suffering.”
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
The Premier League champions said they had no comment to make on the 31-year-old’s remarks.
Toure has had a complicated relationship with City, his agent saying last month that the player could leave the club over a birthday snub.
City, however, released a video in which Toure was shown being presented with a birthday cake on the plane taking the team to Abu Dhabi.